Monica has taught creative writing at the University of California, Berkeley Extension, and around the Bay Area for over a decade. She also welcomes private students for classes in her home.
Consistently praised by students for being both supportive and critical, her conference-style method of teaching promotes both close reading as well as learning through student interaction. She's proud of her many students who have gone on to publish and teach. She's equally proud of those who continue to write for personal pleasure.
Left Margin Lit, NEW!! A one-day revision clinic, "Your Words Matter: Revision Clinic for Prose Writers," Saturday, May 22, 10:00-4:00.
UC Berkeley Extension, "Introduction to Fiction." Next class, Fall 2017.
ONLINE UC Berkeley Extension, "Intermediate Fiction Writing." Next class, Fall 2017.
- Memoir I, Memoir II, Beginning and Intermediate Fiction (online and on the ground), Reading as a Writer/Writing as a Reader, Fear Into Fiction, and The Craft of Reading, at UC Berkeley Extension
- "Lost and Found: Writing From Memory" at Book Passage, Corte Madera
- "False Starts to True Stories," at Book Passage, Corte Madera
- "The Art of Losing: Finding the Words for What's Gone" with Lindsey Crittenden at the SF Writers Grotto
- "Love's Labor: A Workshop for Mothers Writing about Loss" at Liminal.
"As a student 'curious' about writing, I came to Monica's class with an open mind and some ambition. In the course of those few months my mind took on galaxies of fiction, as we discussed and understood craft, voice, style, tone and tension, and my ambition soared. To this day, because of Monica's instruction and inspiration, as long as I am reading, I am writing."
"Her wit and warmth foster a stimulating classroom community, so we both have fun and learn!"
Dr. Valerie Broin, Professor of Philsophy, CSU Stanislaus
"Monica is a wonderful teacher--involved, encouraging, and genuinely interested in helping her students to produce their best work."
Jaqueline Luckett, author of Passing Love and Searching for Tina Turner
"Monica taught me to take risks in the development of my writing by experimenting with the structure of those stories I most admired."
Annemarie O'Brien, author of Lara's Gift